Beyond Portraits - Family Camp 2015

Every August, up in the mountains of Colorado, at a world-renowned Buddhist meditation retreat center, families from all over the world meet to celebrate the challenges, preciousness, and truths of parenting.

Throughout a week, the retreat (which welcomes people of all religions) unfolds from a huge white tent full of strangers being told how to survive the mountain's quirks, to a society of friends and their children, and their children's friends, sharing meals and walks and dance. In the mornings, the children gather and the adults engage in some form of contemplative practice. The afternoons are filled with family activities, where Unfettered time is encouraged as well. In the evenings, and after a much-longed for, kid-friendly dinner, there is music, celebrations, and merriment to be had by all, including a talent show for children and adults alike. The whole week ends with a Rites of Passage ceremony for children ages 8-12, who have trained all week in the art of compassionate warriorship. And a Banquet, And a Dance Party.

I have been fortunate to participate in this retreat camp for several years, and it has become a family tradition that my children look forward to every year. This year, I was the coordinator of the 180-participants iteration of Family Camp, and this left little time for the portrait taking that I have enjoyed so much in the past. But I did photograph glimpses of the experiences and the participants as I run from lunch to a meeting or mindfully walked from a meeting to my room to cuddle my kids. I want to share something a little different today, while the refreshing light of these individuals is still dancing in my mind and heart.

May there be many more gatherings to come!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About